Roslindale History (cont'd)
Roslindale seems to have been originally
known as 'South Street Crossing,' the name being derived from the old
Boston and Providence railroad that crossed South street where the
railroad station now stands. About the year 1870 the postal
authorities decided to establish a post-office in this new growing
community and not knowing an appropriate name to call the branch asked the
citizens of the section to bestow a name upon the community.
The name, "Roslindale", was
suggested by a well-traveled member of the community who told the
assembled citizens that the area reminded him of the beautiful historic
town of Roslyn, Scotland, outside Edinburgh. He thought the area was like
a dale because of the hills surrounding it. Thus the combination
of"Roslyn" and "dale" were submitted to the Post
Office and the name "Roslindale" was formally established.
Roslindale grew residentially as a classic
street car suburb. The railway, which currently serves as the Needham line
of the MBTA, was built after the Civil War, and spawned a new round of
commercial development. Roslindale saw steady growth in its residential
population, beginning in the 1 880's, with the introduction of the
horse-drawn street railway service between Forest Hills and Dedham.
By the 1920's Roslindale Village had
assumed the configuration it has today. It is beautifully laid out with
well-kept Adams Park at its center. The area is convenient and allows easy
access to its rail and bus lines. Roslindale continues to grow and offer
great opportunity as a commercial and residential district.
Many thanks to local historian Anthony
Sammarco. He has really captured the history and community aspects
of many Massachusetts towns. His books can be found in most
bookstores and libraries. His book on Roslindale is complete with
some great photos of early Roslindale.