Hyde Park History (cont'd)
This growth was so pronounced that housing lot
prices quadrupled in just a few weeks time. Hyde Park became its own town
in 1868 and was not annexed by Boston until 1911.
In the late 1800’s the waves of Irish, Italian and
Jewish immigrants to downtown Boston led to a search for “breathing
room” and Hyde Park was a popular target. What was once a village of
1,512 in 1887 became a community of 15,000 by 1912. Jobs in mills along
the Neponset River and country homes drew thousands from downtown Boston
to the neighborhood. As in other neighborhoods, the railroad and streetcar
played significant roles in the shaping of Hyde Park’s
features—individual sections of Hyde Park were divided along the lines
of the tracks and the stations.
As the neighborhood grew, it largely retained its
suburban roots, while building even stronger ties with the rest of Boston.
Its three commuter rail stations, its vast amount of open space, its
ample, affordable housing, and its strong community bonds have all
contributed to its interesting character.
This history of Hyde Park was provided by
the Boston Landmark