Frequently Asked Questions

What towns do you represent?
I represent the Norfolk, Bristol and Plymouth District in the Massachusetts Senate on Beacon Hill in Boston. The district includes all of Milton, Avon, Randolph, Canton, Stoughton, and West Bridgewater as well as precincts 1, 3, 4 and 5 in Braintree, precincts 2 and 3 in Sharon, precincts 3, 4, 5, and 6 in Easton and precinct 4 in East Bridgewater. If you aren’t sure what precinct you live in, click here to find out and to see exactly who repesents you.
View District Map

How do I get in contact with you?
The best way to get in touch with me or my office is to call us directly at 617-722-1643. When you call, please specify if you have a legislative question, constituent problem or a general question. Our office is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. After hours, I can also be reached at home at 617-696-0200. You can also always send me an e-mail.
All Contact Information

I am a reporter. How can I get in touch with you quickly?
Please call my State House office at 617-722-1643 during weekdays and specify that you are reporter on deadline. After hours, or in the case of an emergency, I can be reached at 617-645-1754.

Can you help me with an immigration issue?
Unfortunately, I do not work on federal issues such as Homeland Security. For any issues involving a green card, visa or passport, please contact your U.S. Senator or Congressperson. If you are a resident of my senate district, then your U.S. Senators are John Kerry and Ted Kennedy, and your Congressman is either Stephen Lynch (if you live in Avon, Braintree, Canton, East Bridgewater, Easton, Milton, Randolph, Stoughton, or West Bridgewater) or Barney Frank (if you live in Sharon). To see a list of all elected officials who represent you, click here.

I’d like a proclamation or citation to commemorate a special event. How can I get one?
I am always happy to send commemorative greetings to constituents and to acknowledge special events or occasions including significant birthdays, anniversaries, the achievement of Eagle Scouts, retirements, etc. If you would like to receive a letter or a Senate Citation, please contact my State House office at 617-722-1643. When you call, please know the full name of the individual(s) being honored, as well as any relevant dates or details and the date of the event.

How do I invite you to an event or a meeting?
Please send me an e-mail with the date, time and location of the event and I will let you know if I or an aide can attend. If you haven’t heard back from me within a few days, please feel free to follow up with a phone call to my State House office at 617-722-1643. 

Can you help me with a state agency?
I can help you in a variety of ways with state agencies. My staff can make inquiries on your behalf about the status of any pending cases before any state agency, and we can also often offer advice about which agency would be best to handle your concerns and help you navigate the sometimes confusing web of services offered by the state government. Unfortunately, we cannot offer legal advice or intervene in pending litigation.

The best way to quickly obtain assistance with casework is to call the State House office. You may also contact us by mail or fax. When making a request, it should contain the following information:

  • Brief explanation: Please describe the situation with which you require help as briefly and clearly as possible. The more clear and concise your explanation, the faster we can handle your case.  
  • Relevant identification numbers: Please include relevant case or file numbers, or your social security number.

I’d like to come visit the State House. Can you book a tour?
The Massachusetts State House is one of the most historic structures in the United States and coming to visit is well worth it. Tours are conducted by the Secretary of State’s office (for free), every weekday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. The tours last approximately 45 minutes and originate in the front part of the State House (Doric Hall) facing the Boston Common. If you’d like to come take a tour, please give us a call at 617-722-1643 and we can book one in advance. It is particularly advantageous to give us advance notice if you will be coming in with a larger group.

How do I vote?
Registering to vote is the first step toward the democratic process that defines our community. Although the Commonwealth of Massachusetts does not allow direct online voter registeration, you can request a voter registration form through the Secretary of State’s office

I’d like to intern in your office. Is that possible?
Yes! We love interns. Interning in our office provides you with the opportunity to truly experience democracy in action while gaining invaluable insight on legislative and state issues. Both full and part-time positions are available year-round at the State House. While we cannot pay interns, we are happy to work with your school to ensure that you receive credit for your internship. Interested candidates should send their resume and a short cover letter indicating the dates they are available to [email protected] under the subject: Internship.

I'd like to meet with you to discuss a problem.
I regularly hold office hours across the district. To attend office hours, please call my office at 617-722-1643 and ask about upcoming dates or check your local paper under the "Agenda" section.

  © 2007         Paid for by the Brian A. Joyce Committee         Designed and created by John A. Joyce